Extensive Analysis of UGC NET Exam Pattern | Updated
NTA UGC Net 2019 Exam Pattern - Major Changes in UGC NET Exam Pattern
Extensive Analysis of UGC NET Paper Pattern
Table of Contents
- Extensive Analysis of UGC NET Paper Pattern
- What’s new for 2019 Exam !
- How June 2019 Exam will be different from 2018 Dec Exam?
- UGC NET Exam Pattern & Schedule –
- UGC NET Exam Pattern-
- UGC NET Exam Marking scheme-
- UGC NET Exam Pattern for Paper I-
- Analysis of 2018 Dec Exam Paper-
(Based on NTA UGC NET DEC 2018 Exam and previous exams)
What’s new for 2019 Exam !
Well first thing first! What has changed from last few exams if you compare upcoming exam with the previous exams? Is there any change in the paper pattern in paper 1 exam? or syllabus has changed?
Answer of above phrase is YES ! there is change in pattern and syllabus!
Let’s see in details!
From December 2018 on wards, NTA or National Testing Agency will regulate UGC NET Examination & CBSE will no longer hold the National Eligibility Test. However, the responsibility of declaration of results e-certificates and any appeal in terms of information of legal challenges will remain with UGC.
As per new guideline the examination will be conducted twice a year in December and June.
How June 2019 Exam will be different from 2018 Dec Exam?
Dec 2018 Exam was first online exam and going forward all the exams will be in online mode only.
But you need to be careful for change in UGC NET EXAM SYLLABUS for JUNE exam…
If you have attempted exam before Dec 2018 you will see three differences in upcoming exam …
- There will be 50 Questions [All Compulsory with No Negative Marking]
- Exam will be only in online mode
- There is change in syllabus in paper 1; Many topics has been added and few were also removed
UGC NET Exam Pattern & Schedule –
The computer-based exam consists of 2 papers- Paper 1 and Paper 2. Both the papers will consist of only objective type questions. There will be a break of 30 minutes between them.
As you know online will consist of two papers & both the papers will consist of only objective type questions and will be held in two separate sessions for over all 3 hours:
|Session||Paper||Number of Questions||Marks||Duration|
|Schedule of Examination|
|Dates of Examination|| (Exact dates of examination/shifts will be made available
on the NTA website) 20, 21 June, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 June, 2019
|Timing of Examination||First Shift||Second Shift|
|03 hours without break||09.30 am- 12.30 pm||02.30 pm- 5.30 pm|
UGC NET Exam Pattern-
As per the official notification below are the details of UGC NET EXAM Pattern –
General Paper – Also known as Paper 1 –
- Regarding Paper-I of the exam, the official website of NTA informs, “The questions will be generic in nature, intending to assess the teaching/research aptitude of the candidate.
- It will primarily be designed to test reasoning ability, comprehension, divergent thinking and general awareness of the candidate.”
Subject Selection – Paper 2 –
- Regarding paper-II, the website informs, “This will be based on the subject selected by the candidate. All the questions of Paper–II will be compulsory.”
UGC NET Exam Marking scheme-
The updated marking scheme of UGC NET is given below:
Type of Situation
|Correct Answer||+ 2 marks|
|Incorrect Answer||0 mark|
- Two marks will be awarded for each correct answer. There is no negative marking in the exam.
- Note: If a question for any reason is found to be incorrect, the benefit of marks will be given to only those candidates who attempted the question.
UGC NET Exam Pattern for Paper I-
|Reasoning (Including Math Based)||5||10|
|Information & Communication Technology (ICT)||5||10|
|People & Environment||5||10|
|Higher Education System: Governance, Polity & Administration||5||10|
Analysis of 2018 Dec Exam Paper-
|Unit – Topic Based on Paper 1 Syllabus||Average Number of Questions Asked||Difficulty Level||Remarks|
|Teaching Aptitude||8||Moderate||More focus was given on teaching and research aptitude based question. In some session there are more than 10 Question were asked from this area.|
|Research Aptitude||8||Moderate to Difficult||No of Question based on research aptitude were increased significantly and some students have reported that Question were difficult.|
|Reading Comprehension||5||Easy||No Significant change.|
|Communication||4||Easy to Moderate||Easy Question directly based on theory .|
|Reasoning (Including Math Based)||4||Easy||This section of NET exam is always easy and most of students are comfortable to score good in this section.|
|Logical Reasoning||5||Easy||Easy Question were asked . However New Syllabus has introduced multiple new topics so better keep eye on new topics.|
|Data Interpretation||5||Easy||No Significant change.|
|Information & Communication Technology (ICT)||5||Easy||No Significant change. Focus was on basic internet & email topics.|
|People & Environment||3||Moderate||Less Question were asked based on this topic.|
|Higher Education System: Governance, Polity & Administration||3||Easy to Difficult||Less Question were asked based on this topic. Importance was on govt. initiative.|
Shift wise & Date wise analysis
Read details around the Shift wise & Date wise analysis for Paper 1 at – Shift wise & Date wise analysis
In the above given article Jagran Josh Team has published detailed Exam Analysis of NTA UGC NET Dec 2018 Exam conducted online on 22nd, 21st, 20th, 19th and 18th December 2018 (Shift 1 and 2).
Analysis of last 10 Year Question papers
(Important key points based on the last 10 year exam questions)
|Teaching Aptitude – Teaching and aptitude topics are based on theory and this section required you to go through each keyword written in the books and syllabus|
|Research Aptitude– Important topics are Various research methods, differences, Methods of research; Thesis Writing and Methods|
|Reading Comprehension– Easy mostly based on leading newspaper editorial & magazine|
|Communication– Communication Topics are always easy and they are directly based on the ‘various definition & key differences’ so make sure to go through definition and key points|
|Reasoning (Including Math Based)- This topic is one of the easiest section asked in paper 1 and most of students easily score well in this. Questions are based on Fraction, Time & Distance, Ratio, Proportion and Percentage, Profit and Loss, Interest and Discounting, Averages etc.|
|Logical Reasoning– This section has seen the most changes in last 10 years and various twisted and mixed question were asked based on logical reasoning syllabus and also this section has changed a lot in the latest ugc net exam syllabus.|
|Data Interpretation – Read more details on tips for Data Interpretation notes here .|
|Information & Communication Technology (ICT)- Common ICT terms and basic question based on email, internet and audio-visual aids.|
|People & Environment- You will always find surprising question based on this topic. Its advised that you should follow class 10 book to cover syllabus on this topics. No book in the market contains required study materials.|
|Higher Education System: Governance, Polity & Administration – You need to follow various schemes based questions and important institution of Higher education along with apex bodies.|
Heads up! You can access last 10 year solved Question paper at- 10 Year Solved Question Papers
What’s not changed
Although the syllabus of NET exam has been updated from June 2019 onward but here are key items that has not changed in last 10 years. how ever you never know if in future NTA will follow the same pattern or not…
- Research & Communication Based Question – Only topic were questions were repeated
- Data Interpretation based Question are simple and most of the time they are based on 1 Table/Pie Chart
- Reading Section based Question
- Mathematical reasoning based question
What’s should be your focus area
- You need to divide the 10 section according to your self assessments for example computer student feels question based on ICT are easy and in similar way arts students think about Governance, Polity & Administration; So do your self assessment and break your units into Easy/ Medium and Hard Bucket.
- Additionally you will see no books in the market cover topics based on Higher Education & Environment so you need to follow external contents and read notes from other books/ Current affairs and follow office MHRD website.
- You should keep visiting UGC & MHRD website and go through the various case study/plan, initiatives there are many question asked directly from there such as Initiative in higher education , NIRF etc.
- Logical reasoning has added Indian philosophies based topics this reacquire you to go through key topics based on Indian logic
- Finally ; you need to keep track of time as going forward there will be no gap in the PAPER 1 & PAPER 2 examination (As per new notification of June exam)
NET exam paper 1 is easy and it helps you increase your success in NET exam; Don’t focus only on your subject based paper as Paper 1 is equally important and you should prepare well by given enough time to complete syllabubs.