TRICKS TO SOLVE FAMILY OR BLOOD RELATIONS BASED QUESTION
Blood Relations Based Question are very common in all type of examination where you have been given relationship among few members of the family and based on given details you need to find out the ‘Unknown’ relation that exists satisfying the given criteria.
Questions depict relationships among the various members of a family in a roundabout chain.
The candidate is expected to find the relation of two particular persons mentioned in the question.
Generally, the question deals with a hierarchical structure which is based on seven generation three above & three below like this:
(Source –bankexamstoday )
(This is the key to solve all type of Blood relation Problems )
Also, You need to understand the common terms used while describing the family & blood relations.
Family/Blood Relations Described
|Sister of father
|Wife of uncle
|Son of father or mother
|Brother of husband or wife
|Husband of sister/sister-in-law
|Son/daughter of uncle/aunt
|Granddaughter of father/mother
|Daughter or Niece
|Wife of son
|Father’s father/mother only
|Husband of mother
|Son of grandfather/grandmother
|Father of wife/husband
|Daughter of son/Daughter
|Father of father or mother
|Husband of grandmother
|Father-in-law of father/mother
|Mother of father or mother
|Wife of grandfather
|Mother-in-law of father/mother
|Son of son/Daughter
|Father of grandfather or grandmother
|Mother of grandfather or grandmother
|Sister of mother
|Brother of mother
|Only daughter-in-law of father’s father/father’s mother
|Wife of father
|Daughter of father-in-law/mother-in-law of father
|Mother of wife/husband
|Son of brother or sister
|Daughter of brother/sister
|Father’s/Mother’s only son/daughter
|Son of father
|Father of daughter/son
|Mother of son/daughter
|Children of same parents
|Daughter of father or mother
|Sister of husband or wife
|Wife of brother/brother-in-law
|Grandson of father/mother
|Husband of daughter
|Son of second wife of father
|Second wife of father
|Daughter of second wife of father
|Brother of father
|Husband of aunt
- First of all choose the two persons, between whom the relationship is to be established.
- Next, pinpoint the intermediate relationship i.e., such relationship through which long drawn relationship
can be established between the required persons.
- Finally, conclude the relationship directly between the two persons as per the requirement of the question.
- From a particular name, we cannot ascertain the sex (gender) of that person. The name does not always
show the gender beyond the reasonable doubt.
- Never make an assumption about the sex of given relation based on the name provided
- Always draw a pictorial diagram or Diagram based on Symbols to ascertain Family Tree Structure
- Representation of family tree structure is important as if you are able to draw valid pictorial you will be able to solve any kind of problem(We will see how to draw diagram step by step later in this blog post)
Something not to do while solving the Blood relation problems
- Few Teachers suggest ” to relate the question to yourself e.g if a person’s name is given in the question and other relationships are related to him, try to put yourself on his place and relate yourself to him and this will help you in understanding the problem easily “.
- The above method only works if the problem is in simple nature and only involve few levels of Relationship
How to Draw Family Tree Diagram
You can draw tree diagrams in the following fashion.
- Use vertical lines to represent parent-child relationships.
- Horizontal lines like <-> to denote marriages and dashed lines to represent sibling relationships. Apart from that, a sibling relationship can easily be established if they share the same root.
- You can also add gender differentiation to it by using a + sign for male and – sign for female.
- You can use (?) for the information that has not been provided to you.
As we have now understood the method to draw the diagram let’s move forth and practice some questions
Before that let’s see what type of Blood Relationship Questions are asked in various formats.
They are different in representation but substantially there is no difference between them.
Mainly Questions on Blood Relations are of the following types:
- Mixed-Up Relationship Descriptions
- Coded Relations/Symbolically Coded
- Puzzle-Based Question
(NET Exam Syllabus of Reasoning don’t provide exact information on what type of question can be asked but most of the time it has seen that Question asked are of a mixed nature )
However, if we consider the pattern of the question we should practise them separately-
Let’s Solve a few Examples!
Type I – Mixed-Up Relationship Descriptions/Statements
The questions in this category are generally a dialogue/ conversation between two people and followed up with a question on the basis of the information provided in the conversation.
Given below are some examples.
Pointing to a man in a photograph, a man said to a woman, “His mother is the only daughter of your father”.How is the woman related to the man in the photograph?
Above type of problem can be easily solved using pen and paper and start plotting the family tree diagram and the question will just fall into place.
Abbas said to Chand, “Your mother’s husband’s sister is my aunt.” How is the lady related to Abbas? (1) Brother (2) Daughter (3) Sister (4) Aunt (5) None of these
Lady’s father’s sister is Lady’s aunt. But this sister is also Abbas’s aunt. Therefore Lady (Chand) is Abbas’s sister.
Hence, the answer is (3) Sister.
Read the information carefully and answer the question given below it.
- A family consists of 6 members P, Q , R, X, Y, Z.
2. Q is the son of R but R is not mother of Q.
3. P and R are married couple.
4. Y is the brother of R, X is the daughter of P.
5. Z is the brother of P.
- Who is the brother in law of R?
- How many female members are there in the family?
- How is Q related to X?
- How is Y related to P?
Type II- Coded Relations/Symbolically Coded
In this type, relationships represented by codes and symbols like + , – , / , *. You have to analyze the required relation based on the given code. In this also you may need diagrammatic representation of problem to solve it. Use the same representation used in mixed blood relations.
In the coding equation better to solve the code from the last letter.
C/A – C is the sister of Q.
B+C/A – B is brother in law of A (sister’s husband – brother in law.
D*B+C/A – D is the nephew of A (sister’s husband’s son means sister’s son i.e. nephew).
So, the answer is Nephew.
Type III- Puzzle Based Question on Blood Relations
This type of Question is the mixture of other reasoning concepts like seating arrangement, direction problem, statement & conclusion and others.
So far, It has been not seen much questions were asked in the NET exam on these types but as NTA NET exam is online now and would be chances to have these types.
the most important aspect of this is there will be multiple questions based on the same set of instruction provided in one question; SO if you draw the incorrect family tree or pictorial Diagram chances are very high that you end of making mistake for all question.
The key aspect of solving these type of problem is “Practise as Much as you can ”
Eight persons A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H are sitting around a circular table facing the centre, but not necessarily in the same order.
- A’s the only son sits second to the left of F’s daughter, who is not E. B’s daughter G is an immediate neighbour of F’s daughter.
- D’s mother sits opposite to G and sits is third to the left of C’s son. D’s sister and D’s mother are immediate neighbours of B’s sister, who is not sitting opposite any female.
- G’s father is B, who is the son of C. D’s sister F, sits opposite E’s grandfather C, who is the father of D.
- C is an immediate neighbour of D’s nephew, who is not the son of F.
6. Who among the following sits opposite to H?
7. Who among the following is D’s mother?
8. If B’s daughter and D’s mother interchange their positions then who among the following sits third to the left F’s sister?
e) None of these
9. Four of the following five are alike in a certain way find the one who does not belong to the group?
10. Who among the following sit third to the right of E?
Answer : –
(Try Your Self – Below will Pictorial Diagram of Solution…. Check Answer from Diagram ….)
REFERENCES STUDY NOTES
Read More here –