How to Solve Data Interpretation Questions in CBSE UGC JRF/NET
Agenda : How to Solve Data Interpretation (DI) Questions in CBSE UGC JRF/NET
How to Solve Data Interpretation Questions in CBSE UGC JRF/NET
Myth: There are Students who think “I will solve at least 10/10 Question from DI and Maths based Reasoning”; But due to lack of Practice/Formula & Proper Guide about how to solve them in given time they waste ample amount in the calculation and solving these Question.
DI based question asked in CBSE UGC NET Exam is is not as much as tough which is asked in Bank PO/SO exams. The difficulty is also not as asked in MBA entrance exam but it is some what of mediocre level (Not Too Esay ; Nor Too Tough !)
Data Interpretation Paper Pattern in UGC NET exam: How to prepare?
In CBSE UGC NET exam, Based on Last 10 Year Papers we see there will be (5-6) Questions Based on DI. In Most of the cases, they will be based on Table & PI/Bar Chart.
Let’s have look on the number of question asked in last 6 years. Below is the list of the name of the exam along with no of the question asked in UGC NET EXAM.
- January 2017 (6 MCQs Based on Two Data Tables) (Re-test)
- August 2016 (6 MCQs Based on Two Data Tables) (Re-test)
- July 2016 (6 MCQs Based on Two tables. Questions based on Basic math operation)
- December 2015 (6 MCQs Based on Tabular data on Population Growth)
- June 2015 (6 MCQs Based on Tabular data. questions are based on avg & %)
- December 2014 (6 MCQs based on CO2 emissions. Mostly on % growth and relative changes)
- June 2014 (6 MCQs on Irrigation Data Interpretation. Mostly again based on % )
- December 2013 (6 MCQs on Foreign Tourist Arrivals Data Interpretation. Most of the Questions are based on relative comparisons. )
- September 2013 (4 MCQs on Data production of energy Interpretation) (Re-test)
- June 2013 (6 MCQs on Major Horticulture Crops Tabular Data Interpretation)
- December 2012 (6th MCQs on Government Expenditures on Social Services Data Interpretation)
- June 2012 (2 MCQs on based on total electricity generation PI Chart Data Interpretation)
- December 2011 (2 MCQs on based total CO2 emissions PI Chart Data Interpretation)
- June 2011 (3 Question Based on Numerical Values Data Interpretation)
- December 2010 (5 MCQs based on production of electronic items Data Interpretation)
- June 2010 (3 MCQs Based on Bar Chart Data Interpretation)
The Significant change we see in paper patern over years is that previously there are 5-6 Question based out of 1 Dataset. How ever now we see 3-3 Question on two type of data set. Also in the last few year questions were asked mostly based on tabular data.
This is little tricky as this will be time consuming for candidates to analyse two data set and solve 3 question based on each data set.
By the way below is the Official Syllabus for Data Interpretation Topics for UGC NET EXAM
- Sources, Acquisition and Interpretation of Data.
- Quantitative and Qualitative Data.
- Graphical Representation and Mapping of Data.
Data Interpretation Tricks for UGC NET exam: How to prepare well?
We will also discuss in details how to solve toughest DI …..and we will solve some practice set after reading the article. I have compiled from various sites….a good study material for you in one place. Hope you will enjoy it….First, we will discuss various tips and tricks for solving DI/Data interpretation….So get ready for DI solving tricks and tips.
What kind of Dataset can we expect in Exam?
Data can be written or represented in 4 Forms(Data can be presented either through words as in case-lets or through pictorial methods. Out of all the types of pictorial charts, table, bar chart, pie chart and line chart are most frequently used types)
- Numerical:- Data in numerical form
- Table Form:- Data in Tabular Form
- Mixed form:- Data in Mix Form
- Graphical form Like Line, Bar graph, PI Chart etc.
Tricks to crack Data Interpretation
- Percentage and Ratio applications: These two chapters from Quantitative Aptitude has a certain role to be played in DI calculation. This has been seen most of the question in UGC NET exam are based on Percentage and Average Calculation. A ratio is another important topic to care about.
Master your Percentage, Ratio, Profit and Loss, Average, Interest Calculations
You should Master your two-digit addition which will enhance your calculation speed
Some other necessary things are learned multiplication tricks for three/four digits, Square, Cube.
Avoid Unnecessary Calculation
- Approximation techniques: A very large number of these questions check your ability to compare or calculate fractions and percentages. If you sit down to actually calculate the answer, you would end up spending more time than required. Here are few ideas that you can use for approximation.
Learn the concept of Approximations and Estimations. These are very important to solve DI questions very fast.
When trying to calculate (approximate) a fraction p/q, add a value to the denominator and a corresponding value to the numerator before calculating (approximating).
If the percentage growth rate is r for a period of t years, the overall growth rate is approximate: rt + t * (t-1) * r2 / 2. Follow RS Aggrawal Book
- Calculation Techniques specific to the data sets: There are calculation techniques especially in case of Pie Chart, Line Chart and Bar chart that one should know to reduce the calculation time.
Pie Chart is a circular form of Data representation. In this, the circle is divided into sectors either percentwise or degree-wise. In the percent-wise division, the total area of the chart is taken to be 100% and in degrees division, the total area of the chart is taken to be 360o.
- Don’t use calculators while Practice:
- Solve questions in the order in which they appear:
It is usually seen that the answer to the first question is useful in solving the next question. So it is advisable that you solve the questions in the order in which they appear.
Also if you make mistakes while calculating the first question, you will most probably make mistakes in the subsequent questions. So be double sure of your answers.
Some Important Videos on Data Interpretation:
(Kudos to PKR TitBits Team to publish easy and good videos on these topics You Can see those in below Play list)
Some Solved Examples:
Directions (Questions: 01 – 06): Study the table and answer the given questions:
Data related to no.of employees who joined (Jo) and left (Le) 5 given companies during 5 given years.
(Consider the given companies started in 2001.)
1).If the ratio of the number of male to female employees in company B at the end of 2003 was 5 : 6, what was the number of female employees in company b at the end of 2003?
2).What was the total number of employees in company A at the end of 2004?
3).The number of employees in company E at the end of 2002 is what percent more than the
number of employees in company C at the end of 2002?
- 9 × 1/5
- 3 × 4/5
- 11 × 1/5
- 7 × 3/5
- 5 × 4/5
6).What is the ratio of the total number of employees who joined company C in 2003 and 2004
together to the total number of employees who left company E in 2003,2004 and 2005
- 11 : 9
- 22 : 19
- 13 : 9
- 11 : 7
DI section is the most typical and time consuming for most of the aspirants but if you believe in smart work you can subdue this problem.
Things you should adopt are as follows.
- First and foremost learn tables up to 30. This will make your life easier.
- Learn Percentage table. For an example (66.66% = 2/3, 33.33%=1/3, 14.285%= 1/7 etc.).
- Discover your own methods, in which you are very comfortable when it comes to long addition, subtraction, multiplication. You can use the Internet to choose them.
- Learn the fraction table. Up to at least 20( Example 1/16= 0.0625) and start playing with them :p
- Search for methods like approximation, ratio etc to reduce the complexity of calculation.
- Do mental math exercises when you find yourself free. It’ll really help you.
- Apart from your daily math routine. Give some extra time to improve your calculation part because DI is all about calculation.
- Lastly, I’d suggest panacea for all diseases is practice. Practice as much as possible.
Some Reference Materials you follow for more details:
- Data-Interpretation.pdf [Source shriramedu.com ]
Please feel free to reach us email@example.com