ALL INDIA COUNCIL OF TECHNICAL EDUCATION
In the kick-starter series of notes, This article is about AICTE which serves as short notes for various examination points of view.
Multiple Questions were asked on schemes run by AICTE in many examinations; So, In detail, we have covered the introduction, its working functions, various schemes and a road map.
Heads up! This topic needs your attention, as the topic is very vast and you will always find surprising questions based on this unit.
Click on the below links for complete notes of the Higher Education System, Solved Question-based on this unit are also covered to check your progress at the end.
- Institutions of higher learning and education in ancient India.
- Evolution of higher learning and research in Post Independence India.
- Oriental, Conventional, and Non-conventional learning programs in India.
- Professional, Technical, and Skill Based education.
- Value education and environmental education.
- Policies, Governance, and Administration.
- MCQ Based on the last 10 years of solved question papers
Some other important topics which are interrelated to the above-
- New Education Policy
- Important Higher Education Body in India | Short Notes 2021
- Top 10 Important Government Bodies You Must Know About
- Kick-start Notes on AICTE for Higher Education System
- Important Key Facts of Higher Education System in India for UGC NET
- Challenges in Higher Education in India
- Important Notes On Policies, Governance, and Administration
- Important Higher Education Body in India | Short Notes 2021
- Important Govt Schemes by PMO of India | Study Notes for UGC NET
ALL INDIA COUNCIL OF TECHNICAL EDUCATION
All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) was set up in November 1945 as a national-level apex advisory body to conduct a survey on the facilities available for technical education and to promote development in the country in a coordinated and integrated manner. And to ensure the same, as stipulated in the National Policy of Education (1986)
- AICTE is the statutory body and the national level council for the regulation of technical education in India. The Council was set up in November 1945 based on the recommendation of the Technical Education Committee of the Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) of 1943.
- The growth of Technical Education in the Country before independence was very slow. The number of Engineering Colleges and Polytechnics (including Pharmacy and Architecture Institutions) in 1947 was 44 and 43 with an Intake capacity of 3200 and 3400 respectively.
Major Functions and Schemes
- Approval of variation/ increase in Intake, additional Course(s)/ Programme(s) in Technical Institutions
- Approval for Foreign Collaboration/ Twinning Programme
- Participation in the process of granting Institution Deemed to be University status by MHRD
- Development of Model Curricula through All India Boards of Studies Share and Mentor Institutions (Margdarshan)
- Modernisation and Removal of Obsolescence (MODROBS)
- Entrepreneurship Development Cell (EDC)
- Project Centre for Technical Education
- Community Colleges under NSQF
- Innovation Promotion Scheme (IPS)
- Research Park
- e-Shodh Sindhu
- e-Learning Centre for Technical Education
- Industry Institution Partnership Cell (IIPC)
- Unnat Bharat Abhiyan
- Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY)
- Seminar Grant
- Travel Grant
- Faculty Development Programme (FDP)
- Quality Improvement Programme
- AICTE-Adjunct Faculty
- Trainee Teacher Scheme
- Research Promotion Scheme (RPS)
- AICTE-INAE-DVP (Distinguished Visiting Professor)
- AICTE-INAE-TRF (Teaching Research Fellowship)
- Post Graduate scholarships for GATE/GPAT Qualified Post Graduate students
- Hostel for SC/ ST Students
- Scholarship Scheme for Girl Child (SSGC) – PRAGATI
- Scholarship Scheme for Divyang – SAKSHAM
- AICTE-INAE-TG (Travel Grant for students)
- Skill and Personality development Programme centre for SC/ ST Students
Various Students Development Schemes
- PG SCHOLARSHIP – A scholarship is awarded to full-time GATE/GPAT qualified students admitted to M.E./ M. Tech/ M. Arch and M.Pharma courses in AICTE approved Institutions/Colleges @Rs. 12,400/- PM/ student.
- PRIME MINISTER’S SPECIAL SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME – PMSSS- The objective of the Scheme is to build up capacities in the youth of J&K, educate, enable and empower them to compete in the normal courses, enhance and boost employment potentials in students of J&K. Total 3430 scholarship are given @ Rs. 100000/- as Maintenance Charges and academic fee as Rs. 30000/- to General Degree, Rs. 125000/- to Engineering Degree & Rs. 300000/- to Medical Degree each year
- PRAGATI SCHOLARSHIP- Scholarship/Contingency is awarded to meritorious girls taking admission in AICTE-approved Technical institution a Degree/ Diploma. Total 4000 scholarships are given @ Rs. 30000/- as tuition fee reimbursement and Rs. 20000/- as incidentals each year.
- SAKSHAM SCHOLARSHIP- Scholarship/Contingency is awarded to Differently abled students taking admission in AICTE-approved Technical institutions at Degree/ Diploma. Total 1000 scholarships are given @ Rs. 30000/- as tuition fee reimbursement and Rs. 20000/- as incidentals each year.
- AICTE-INAE TRAVEL GRANT SCHEME-An “AICTE-INAE Travel Grant Scheme” for Engineering Students to present papers abroad has been launched for enhancing the quality of engineering education in the country.
- PRERNA – SCHEME FOR PREPARING SC/ST STUDENTS FOR HIGHER EDUCATION- There is an acute shortage of faculty in engineering & polytechnic colleges. The problem can be addressed by promoting degree students of pre-final and final year to go for postgraduate courses. This scheme aims at providing financial support to institutes who are willing to put extra efforts for encouraging and training SC/ST students for GATE/GPAT/CAT/CMAT and GRE.
- SAMRIDDHI – SCHEME FOR SC/ST STUDENTS FOR SETTING START-UPS- Looking at the poor job availability in the market, it is necessary to provide opportunities for SC/ST students to start their own enterprise. The broad objective of this scheme to help SC/ST students is in designing, launching and running their own business/startup through entrepreneurship development programme after formal education is over/during their education as per AICTE’s startup policy.
- NATIONAL DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP (NDF)- To promote research culture in AICTE approved Institutions or admitting full time meritorious research scholars by providing research fellowship to meritorious students who wants to seek admission in Ph.D in AICTE approved Technical Institutes in AICTE approved disciplines for a full time Ph.D.
- SUPPORT TO STUDENTS FOR PARTICIPATING IN COMPETITION ABROAD (SSPCA)- To promote research culture in AICTE-approved Institutions or admit full-time meritorious research scholars by providing research fellowships to meritorious students who want to seek admission in Ph.D. in AICTE approved Technical Institutes in AICTE approved disciplines for a full-time Ph.D.
- SMART INDIA HACKATHON 2017- A unique initiative to identify new and disruptive digital solutions for solving the challenges faced by our country under the program of Smart India Hackathon 2017. This event was held on 1st – 2nd April 2017 for 36 hrs non-stop competition. 9544 technology students, 598 problem statements, and 29 different central govt. ministries, 26 different Nodal centres & funding of Rs. 3 Lakh per team for 100 qualified teams
Staff Development Schemes
SEMINAR GRANT (SG)
The scheme provides financial assistance to institutions for organizing Symposium /Conference/ Seminar / Workshop at National and International levels in various fields of Technical Education. Total funding up to Rs 1 Lakh for national and Rs 3 Lakh for International seminars is given under the scheme.
INAE (TRF) INDIAN NATIONAL ACADEMY OF ENGG. (TEACHERS RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP)
The scheme provides fellowships to Engineering Teachers for Doctoral Research in Central Laboratories in order to promote a research culture amongst the faculty in AICTE-approved engineering institutions. The limit of funding is Rs. 5.7 lakh per scholar for three years.
QUALITY IMPROVEMENT PROGRAMME
The main objective of the program is to upgrade the qualification of the faculty members of the degree-level institutions in the country. Scholarship @Rs. 15000/-PM and Rs. 5000/ PM are given to Ph.D./ M.Tech. Scholars. A total of 94 QIP centers are in the country.
FACULTY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME (FDP)
The scheme is intended to Institutions for induction training to teachers employed in AICTE approved Technical Institutions to facilitate up-gradation of knowledge and skill. Rs 5-7 Lakh are granted for the 2 weeks FDP.
The scheme encourages quality involvement of academicians, scholars, practitioners, and policymakers in teaching, research, and related services. The limit of funding is Rs 6 Lakh/Faculty/Institute.
TRAINEE TEACHER SCHEME
The scheme attracts bright UG/PG students to the teaching profession by providing M. Tech/Ph. D Fellowships and assured job. The limit of funding is Rs 2.5 Lakh per Institute and duration of project is 3 years.
SCHEME OF TRAVEL GRANTS (TG)
The scheme enables meritorious faculty to interact at International Level Conferences, both within and outside India, Seminars, and Symposia.
AICTE and INAE distinguished visiting Professor schemes envisage the promotion of industry-institute interaction.
Institutional Development Schemes
SHARE AND MENTOR INSTITUTIONS (MARGDARSHAN)
Through this Scheme an Institute of repute as a Mentor within an existing facility to serve as the hub to guide and disperse knowledge to and between around ten technical institutions as spokes. The limit of funding is Rs. 50 Lakhs and the duration of the project is for 3 years.
UNNAT BHARAT ABHIYAN
Unnat Bharat Abhiyan is inspired by the vision of transformational change in rural development processes by leveraging knowledge institutions. The limit of funding is Rs 5 Lakh/ Institute and the duration of the project is 2 years.
MODERNISATION AND REMOVAL OF OBSOLESCENCE (MODROBS)
The scheme equips technical institutions with infrastructural facilities, laboratories, workshops, and computing facilities to enhance teaching, training and research capabilities. The limit of funding is Rs 20 Lakhs and the project duration is 2 years
SKILL AND PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME CENTRE FOR SC/ST STUDENTS
The scheme provides an opportunity for SC/ST students in the Institutes to reorient themselves in the light of emerging employment opportunities for Engineering undergraduate/Diploma students at all levels to empower the SC and ST students. Maximum funding for the scheme is Rs 25 Lakhs and the project duration is 3 years.
HOSTELS FOR SC/ST STUDENTS
The scheme aims to support Government / Government-aided engineering colleges for construction of girls/boys hostels for students /researchers belonging to SC/ST category. Total funding up to Rs 2 Crores is provided to complete the project within 2 years’ time.
SPECIAL SCHEME FOR NORTHEASTERN STATES
To enhance the functional efficiency of the technical institutes located in far-flung areas of North East India, AICTE has launched a scheme for providing logistics support to the technical institutes of NER by extending financial assistance for the construction of rainwater harvesting systems, alternative power support & availability/connection of internet facility
Research & Innovations Development Schemes
RESEARCH PROMOTION SCHEME (RPS)
This scheme Promotes Research in identified thrust areas of Technical Education. RPS is aimed to create a research ambiance in the institutes by promoting research in engineering sciences and innovations in established and newer technologies, and to generate Masters’s and Doctoral degree candidates to augment the quality of faculty and research. The limit of funding is Rs 25 Lakh for a project duration of 3 years.
ENTREPRENEURSHIP DEVELOPMENT CELL (EDC)
This scheme motivates the students to opt for entrepreneurship and self-employment as attractive and viable career options. The limit of funding is Rs. 10 lakh.
E- SHODH SINDHU
This scheme aims to provide e-resources on technical education to 94 AICTE-supported technical Institutes. Rs. 6.5 crore are the subscription rates paid by AICTE in 2017.
GRANT FOR ORGANISING CONFERENCE
The scheme provides financial assistance to institutions for organizing conferences at the National and International levels in various fields of Technical Education.
Source – This is a curated article sourced from the Official website. From time to time they update the policy and other stuff. We always try to put our best effort to keep this updated however if you still see any details as outdated please refer to http://www.aicte-india.org